[ale] question about sobig

John Marasco john at marasco.net
Wed Aug 20 07:55:08 EDT 2003

Selected quote about the SoBIG virus...

But even those who werenÂ’t directly infected with the virus were
struggling with it. When it replicates, the virus “spoofs” the sending
e-mail address. That means the “From:” line is faked, selected from a
list of e-mail addresses culled off the Internet. Users unlucky enough
to be used in SoBig’s “From” line can get hundreds of SoBig-related
complaints, including automated bounce messages saying the virus didnÂ’t
reach its recipient, or irate messages from recipients who think theyÂ’ve
been sent a computer virus.