[ale] ergh, need to scan MIME encoded msgs for virus

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Wed Aug 20 00:28:08 EDT 2003

Here's the situation -- in the 45 minutes it took us to get the updated
dat file from McAfee this morning, we got slammed with lots of little
nasty worms.

So we need to *remove* them from the users' mailboxes (please, I beg you, do
not tell me to filter outgoing mail...I can't do it for a long list of
reasons and it's just not gonna happen).

I have a list of all files recieved today in the suspect time period. They
are in standard boring email format, with MIME encoded attachments.
Running a virus scanner on these will not catch anything, because it's
MIME encoded. I can't find anywhere on how to run MIMEDefang standalone.
Unfortunately grepping for the extensions isn't working out because there
are also warnings from our virus scan (once it kicked in) and warnings
from other people's virus scans giving us tons of false positives.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
jenn