[ale] OT: printing digital photographs

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Aug 19 11:06:22 EDT 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, John Wells wrote:

> My wife has gone picture crazy since our daughter arrived.  I bought a
> digital camera around the same time, thinking I'd save $$, but I think
> it's just allowed her to snap away indiscriminately ;-).
>
> Anyway, Wolf Camera is making a small fortune each week from my wife's
> visits to print out the photographs she's taken.  I think on average, a
> 4x6 runs about 40 cents.
>
> Has anyone analyzed whether it's cheaper to buy a printer and print your
> own or to take it to a store and have them do it for you?  I'm thinking
> about forking up the cash for a photo-quality printer, but have to wonder
> if I'll really save any money in the long run, considering ink and paper
> costs.  Course, I don't see my wife's shutterbug tendencies abating
> anytime soon.
>
> Assuming you can in fact, save money, can anyone recommend a good,
> affordable, quality printer?  I'd like to be able to print 8x10" and down.

If you print every phot you take, you'll loose a lot of money printing them
yourself. If you sort through your photos and print just the good ones,
printing yourself can be good, both in cost and because it gives you the
flexibility to print easily exactly what / how you want....

You might also look at the online photo services. I've used:

Snapfish <http://www.snapfish.com/>
Shutterfly <http://www.shutterfly.com/>
Club Photo <http://www.clubphoto.com/

All have strengths and weaknesses, but will probably be cheaper than
printing yourself if you print in bulk. You can get as low as $.15 / pic at
4x6 if you watch their sales or buy in bulk from them.

If you do print yourself, go for an Epson. Keep in mind that with Epsons,
you need to print regularly, and not drain the ink completely to get good
long-term quality....

later,
chris