[ale] Apparently used in spam or virus distribution

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Aug 19 10:53:31 EDT 2003

ALErs -

This morning I received two notices from UK recipients to the effect that
mail from me contained suspect attachments, identified in one case as a
PIF file.

As I am not aware of sending any mail to these recipients and do not have
copies of the suspect mail, I can't tell whether they represent a
compromise of my Linux-2.4.20 system, the Pine newsreader, fetchmail,
sendmail, or some other link of the chain.

Any suggestions for learning if this is really my problem?

Thanks.
 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu