[ale] Samba Not Quite Right

hbbs at comcast.net hbbs at comcast.net
Tue Aug 19 10:30:50 EDT 2003

Okay = setting "security = share" instead of "security = user" gets me the
browsability I want and also makes my public read-only share accessible like I
want it.  However, when I go to an XP box and try to connect to the controlled
share, XP pre-fills the username field with "<server_name>/Guest" and won't
allow a change, whereas I want the user to be able to supply his or her own
username.

The definition of the share in question is:

[invoices]
        path=/share/invoices
        public=no
        writable=no
        write list = jeff alice chloe ; these are the 2 names I want to have r/w
        read list = jeff alice chloe  ; access to this share