[ale] Dude, I got no Cable !!

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 16 05:53:46 EDT 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 11:41 pm, Debrihmi wrote:
> Hi-ya!
>
> I just got a Dell Insperon 5100 notebook (very nice) but when I connect it
> to the cable modem the notebook sees the connection but doesn't use it..

My solution would be to either get a dedicated router to put between your
cable modem and your home computers, or get another network card for your
linux box and either plug your laptop directly into it (could be a pain) or
add a hub to your purchase and connect your laptop to it when you need to.

It's very easy to set up IPmasq, and IPtables, and you can either give your XP
laptop a static IP on the resultant lan or turn on DHCP on your linux box
(also easy as hell).

In either of those scenarios, you're not dependant on the cable modem having
to lose it's current connection, then re-connect.  It just chugs along doing
what it's been doing all along- plus your linux box stays connected when your
laptop is brought into the loop...

Just my thoughts...  :-)

                    "Here's my family tree.  As far as I can tell, my
         relatives were carnival folk who were touring this place called
Hiroshima in
             the summer of 1945.  Because they lost most of their hair, they
                      mostly married each other.  And here I am"

                                                        (,,oBo,,)
 Wylde Bill                                               ||||
http://lyst.org

http://mrpooter.sytes.net                 wyldechylde at geocities.com

       Disempowering government means empowering people.
        http://flag.blackened.net/daver/anarchism/nlm/nlm.html