[ale] Debian - mouse setup in XF86Config-4

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 16 00:44:26 EDT 2003

Thanks for all the information on nVidia and SuSE. I'll save a copy for when I work with SuSE again.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:
I decided to give Debian a try, didn't have much to lose and wanted to see how Debian works. The installation went okay, and I was able to run tasksel and run apt-get using ftp.

I did run into trouble on configuring XFree86. Got my card and monitor okay, but am having trouble with the mouse. Two questions:
1. How do you set up a USB-attached mouse in Debian stable, and how do you configure it in XFree86.

2.If USB-attached mouse is no good in Debian stable, how do you configure a PS/2 attached mouse? I have a 2 button, 1 wheel Microsoft Intellimouse cheapy special.

To give it a try, I edited the XF86Config-4 file to allow X to start without a mouse present. I was able to get an X window and KDE started up - so I know I'm almost there (well, EnsonIQ 1370 isn't working yet, either - but that can wait).

Sorry for jumping all over the map between Mandrake, SuSE and Debian questions. Figured I'd try out a couple distributions for fun.
Bruce