[ale] Overcoming the firewall...

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Aug 15 17:10:15 EDT 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 04:56 pm, James CE Johnson wrote:

> When I'm at home I cannot access my office desktop at all. This is where
> I need ALE's help.
>
> What I *can* do is use 'ssh -R 2200:localhost:22 myPublicServer' from
> the office desktop to connect to my public server and create a socket
> there listening on 2200 and forwarding to 22 on the office desktop. Then
> I drive home, login to the public box and invoke 'ssh -p 2200' to
> connect back to the office box. I don't particularly like this because
> (a) now 2200 is open on that public box for anyone (on my public
> network) to connect to and (b) I really want access from my development
> box, not from my public box.

Last month's Linux Journal (I think.  Maybe it was somewhere else
entirely.) had exactly the solution to this.  There is a tool who's name I
forget that will effectively do ppp over ssh.  So you set up the ssh
tunnel between you home and office and then you can route office traffic
through the ppp tunnel.

The really cute part was at the end of the article.  You set up you office
box to check to see whether your home system is up evry minute.  Most of
the time it isn't, but when you boot your home system it makes a secure
ssh connection and then starts up the new network interface between the
two systems.

I'll try to look it up this weekend.

Michael