[ale] NVidia Driver Install - SuSE (mismatched compiler)

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 15 13:19:09 EDT 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 13:03, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> 1. If you have to stick to Nvidia, use the new drivers they do work (I
> forgot how).
> 2. FYI: Open source drivers work very well. I currently have (gee, I forgot
> because they are sooo trouble free) I have. . .. 128MB 3D video cards
> running open source drivers and I get better performance than Nvidia (who
> has recently been found guilty of inflating their benchmarks by as much as
> 21%). Since exterminating close source software from my computer, I have
> had 0 problems with my video. It runs faster and is more stable and the
> quality is great - I saw the reflective surfaces in Descent3 that I care so
> much about.
>
> My cards are not the brand, I think they are remade by Powersomething.
> ATI !!!! (I had to use Yast just to remember). I highly recommend ATI 128MB
> cards with open source drivers. I have them in all of my machines and (I do
> not work for ATI or own their stock - why does everyone disclose that?).
> They work great, install in Suse automatically and are completely hassle
> free.
>
> Drew

I remember when you posted about that. I was smiling inwardly to myself -
thinking "installing nVidia drivers is no big deal. Just download, jump to
terminal mode, run the installation program and edit XFree86 config file." I
did that at least 4 times after reinstalling Mandrake. Got it down to a
couple minutes max to get the drivers working. Didn't think it would be any
different in SuSE.

Unfortunately, my piggy bank is tapped. I bought a WAP54G and a cardbus card
for my wife's WinXP laptop. My linux box is wired right now. My goofy little
Linksys 802.11B Game Adapter (look ma, no drivers!!!) has poor reception,
dropped packets, hangs often - and will be returned. Don't know what would be
harder: installing madwifi drivers for 802.11G, or running a cable. I'm
thinking just running a cable would be the fastest, cheapest, easiest
solution.

I'll search the archives on your nVidia debacle.