[ale] Debian install - sanity check (Turned into SuSE via FTP)

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 15 00:48:47 EDT 2003

On Thursday 14 August 2003 15:21, Debrihmi wrote:

> > Cool!!! I like that option! I've been reading through Debian docs,
> > and got to the point where I've decided to hold off until the Debian
> > Desktop project has a little more headway. This looks like a good choice.
> >
> > Do you know if there is a similar utility for SuSE LiveEval CD? Or
> > would I just go with the FTP install. I think Debian is over my head
> > for now, but SuSE might be something I could do.

> For SuSE, I would go with the FTP install (although I don't know if its the
> current 8.2 install or not)
>
> I live and die by Debian..  My wife got my Xandros/Debian (commercial
> Linux) for Christmas and I'm very happy with that too, it's very
> Windows-like but does not insult your intelligence..  I'm very impressed
> with SuSE 8.2 and am looking to get a permanent install done, so if it
> works out with the FTP, please let me know..
>
> ~
> Debrihmi

The SuSE FTP install went pretty well. I think a few people already posted on
installing SuSE via FTP, but I'm not the best at searching archives. I
downloaded the boot iso and burned to CD. Booted from the CD and started from
there.

The installation did not recognize my Ethernet card, so I had to go into Load
Modules, Network Drivers - and select the drivers for NatSemi DP83815. After
that it worked okay.

I downloaded from Georgia Tech server. YaST asks for the IP address fo the
server. It's 130.207.108.134   To figure out the address, select mirrors and
pick the closest mirror to you. Then ping it to get the IP address. (you have
to do this BEFORE starting the install!) YaST will ask for a directory - the
directory (on GaTech) is /pub/suse/suse/i386/8.2

Now I have some tweaking to do. Have to configure Samba for print sharing and
home directory sharing. Have to go back into KMail and configure filters (and
maybe Spam Assassin). Will also need to change themes and wallpapers. But for
now - I have a basic SuSE desktop up and running.
Bruce