[ale] Re: Trying to make the switch to Linux

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 14 11:41:24 EDT 2003

John Marasco wrote:
> Just out of curiousity...
>
> Does Linux corrupt NTFS filesystems for future Linux read/write
> operation or only wrt future NT read/write operation?  In this instance
> you wouldn't be reading and writing from the NTFS filesystem with NT
> anymore as you would be performing a Linux install.  I read the same
> thing you posted but I interpreted it to mean that Linux "corrupts" NTFS
> such that NT4.0 may not read it anymore.  I just assumed that Microsoft
> implemented some type of non-conforming support for whatever NTFS
> standard the Linux NTFS support was written to.  I didn't believe that
> Linux would corrupt an NTFS partition so that Linux couldn't read from
> that partition any more.

Linux has never been able to write to NTFS, so whether M$ changed it or
not is not an issue.  Personally, I've not researched it beyond that.  I
would say that if you intend to attempt to write to an NTFS file system
via Linux, you better back it up first..

> Not that I'm advocating using Linux with NTFS, I'm just curious as to
> the level of NTFS support in Linux.

Writing has never been stable.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...