[ale] Dominating the Linux Desktop

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Aug 13 09:36:32 EDT 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Geoffrey wrote:

> Larry Grenevitch wrote:
> > There is one other thing pushing KDE as the defacto standard.  With Mandrake
> > in bankrupcy, and Red Hat pulling their boxed edition.
>
> I was not aware that RH was doing so.  Is this documented on their site
> anywhere?  Are you saying you won't see any boxed versions of RH in
> local shops?

Red Hat Linux (the cheap stuff, if bought in stores; or free, if downloaded)
is becoming the Red Hat Linux Project. It will be a mix of Red Hat
maintained and community maintained packages, and will focus on releasing
quickly.  Users who want a current desktop / server tracking the latest
changes in the Linux world can use it. Think Debian, but with a sane release
cycle ;-).  This will be a download-only product.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux (the expensive stuff) will be spun off of RHLP
every 18 months, giving users wanting a stable os for running 3rd-party apps
a supported platform they can buy. This will be a commercial product.

That's the idea, anyway.

As an example of some of the changes, the next beta of what will be Red Hat
Linux 10 will include yum as a front end to RPM, and may include apt.
up2date has already been modified to support use of yum / apt
repositories....

later,
chris