[ale] Reviving the ALS

Chris Farris chrisf at primeharbor.com
Tue Aug 12 20:16:12 EDT 2003

To answer your question I don't think you can re-create an event a'la
ALS. That said _if_ you could find a sponsor, find a location
(E-Deltacom or the Emory Law School would work), you may be able to get
a GA/AL/SC/TN event together. Put together a top notch list of topics
(like Warfield's forensics talk), promote the hell out of it and you can
probably attract ~250 people.

The key is setting expecataions. Your not gonna get Linus, Alan Cox or
any other name you would recognize. Instead try and get a good list of
speakers from the local area. Make it technical - there are plenty of
groups out there promoting linux, picture this as a super-lug meeting.
Don't plan on wild (and expensive) parties, dinners, etc. Don't plan on
exhibit floor with anything more that 5-10 table top vendors. Don't
expect to have any $$. Don't expect to get any money from whats left of
ALS - AFAIK they are broke. Oh and don't expect any publicity from /. -
they never gave us much in the first place.

What can you expect? The people who will run this will use up their 2
weeks of vacation for the year. 33% of the people who say they will do
something won't, 25% will burn out and not participate the next year. If
you succeed it pulling it off you will have accomplished a great feat,
you will make new friends, and have the general admiration of the people
who attend. You may even get a free t-shirt out of it.

If you decide to do this, good luck, and may God have mercy on your
souls (and soles).

Chris