[ale] Kismet + RH 9 + Linksys

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Aug 11 13:09:23 EDT 2003

I'm now trying to get kismet to work with RedHat 9.  In RedHat 7.3
I had to use the wlan package.  In RH 9 it seems that all is well
with ifconfig and that has support for the wireless card.  In 7.3
the interface was wlan0 and now it is eth1.  When I run the kismet_server
I get the followin error:

FATAL: capture child 5126 (orinocosource): pcap reported netlink type 1 (EN10MB) for eth1.  This probably means you're not in RFMON mode or your drivers are reporting a bad value.  Make sure you have run kismet_monitor.
Terminating.

In my config file I do not seem to have an option for prism2 and
eth1

# Capture Name      - The name Kismet uses for this capture source.  This is the
#   name used to specify what sources to enable.
#
# To enable multiple sources, specify a source line for each and then use the
# enablesources line to enable them.  For example:
# source=prism2,wlan0,prism
# source=cisco,eth0,cisco
# source=cisco_cvs,eth1:wifi0,ciscocvs
#source=prism2,eth1,prism

#source=cisco,eth1,ciscosource
# Other common source configs:
# source=prism2,wlan0,prism2source
# source=prism2_avs,wlan0,newprism2source
source=orinoco,eth1,orinocosource

I've tried to mofidy the above wlan0 for use with
eth1 instead and have had no luck.  Is anyone here using
a Linksys wireless adapter with Kismet on RH 9?

Thanks,
Chris