[ale] Need help w/TV video capture

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Sat Aug 9 22:43:44 EDT 2003

UPDATE: looks like there is an issue with controlling the card's tuner,
as opposed to the card's video I/O.  There's also an issue with the
audio (which is separate from my computer's audio).

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks for the tips, Geoffrey.

See pertinent inline comments below ...

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 08:59:29PM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Fulton Green wrote:
> > I installed a TV tuner card (KWorld KW-TV878RF-PRO) today.  The PCI
> > reading indicates that the card has a BT878-compatible chipset.  Yet in
> > playing around with xawtv, I can't seem to get anything besides static,
> > even when I set to NTSC, us-bcast (I don't have cable), and channel 2 or
> > 17 (my two clearest signals).
>
> The good news is, it should work very well, the bt878 chipset is well
> supported.  I've got 4 of them going.  You might try passing the device
> to xawtv, like this:
>
> xawtv -c /dev/video1

Actually, xawtv defaults to /dev/video0.

UPDATE: I bit the bullet and installed the Windows drivers and basic
app from KWorld.  Miraculously, they all worked.  So I booted back into
Linux, and lo and behold, xawtv was showing video from the last channel!
Unfortunately, further attempts to "turn the channel" in Linux proved
fruitless.  Also, the TV card's audio out (which is actually a separate
jack, to which I connected some cheap speakers) isn't playing through my
speaker like it was in Windows.

> When you say you don't have cable, what are you using for your reception
> device?  Antenna?

Yes, antenna.   I'm hooking up through the coax interface.