[ale] $299 Linux PC's

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sat Aug 9 17:36:28 EDT 2003

In the past, MS has twisted the arms of several hardware mfg's to 1) use
only the MS OS and 2) to increase the pc makers cost of the OS license (what
is referred to as "the MS tax").  Up until Wal-Mart, no one really has had
the clout (or the fortitude) to go against MS.  While MS is big, WalMart is
bigger (and I would argue meaner and more fanatical). I think Dell used to
put Linux on a box, then stopped.  HP/Compaq got squished.  IBM does what it
wants to as does Apple, Sun, and SGI (since they all do hardware &
software).  Alpha's got squished by MS (I heard), as MS got rid of their OS
for Alpha's - though many use a BSD for them, since the hardware is
desirable.  So, ... any big name store with a box running a *nix (even
Lindows) is big news.  And a small $300 box can be loaded with a whole slew
of Linux stuff for small business (server) or even as a workstation for the
masses.

However, the biggest thing is that it represents consumer choice in the
market place to some degree.  'Bout time.

Greg