[ale] OT, cvs question for the experts

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Aug 8 22:56:44 EDT 2003

Jim, ALErs -

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Jim Lynch wrote:

> I admit to being a bit of a novice with cvs.  I have created a cvs
> repository on system a.  I have been working on a project doing
> development on system b and when I finish I check in my work and go to
> system c (user testing) and check out the changes.  All has been working
> fine until I added a new directory to my project.  I did a cvs add of
> the directory, a cvs add of the files in the directory and a cvs
> commit.  cvs reported it had committed the files.  A cvs status on
> system b shows that to be true.  But when I went over to system c to try
> to check out the files, the only think that a cvs update finds is the
> old stuff that was changed.  It doesn't update the new stuff.  I tried a
> cvs co of the directory but it said:

>  cvs co images
> cvs server: cannot find module `images' - ignored
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules

If you didn't do your checkout into an empty directory, try that. 'cvs
update' looks at the ./CVS/ entries and makes some decisions what to bring
out.

Did you look at the actual CVS repository and see what's there?

Can you checkout or export the new files against their directory
pathname(s), rather than their module name?

Doublecheck your module definition. I thought there were some checks made
when one commited a new '$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/modules' to test the usability
of the modules you have defined. How did that part go? (You can retest
this by checking out 'CVSROOT/modules', making some trivial change, and
committing.) I may be 100% wrong here, as it's been a while since I
defined modules.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu