[ale] Interesting happenings with Ximian/Novell

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Fri Aug 8 11:50:37 EDT 2003

On Friday 08 August 2003 11:34, Josh Freeman wrote:

> It can only help. As much as I love Evolution, I despise Ximian because
> of how much of a mess it made of my system, and the whole "long in as
> root and pipe a url through root" install method.  That and the
> dependency hell.  I would imagine that Novell would be able to improve
> on that.

I'm thinking more along the lines of eDirectory, filesystems, iChain,
ONDemand, Zenworks, etc. Imagine the "it just works" factor of Novell's
network services combined with the application serving power of Linux on
high end Intel boxes. Everything is coming together for Linux.

Food for thought...

Are traditional operating systems destined to become the equivalent of BIOS
systems? Might Linux be the software version of Intel's hardware? Are we on
the brink of OS commodity?

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security