[ale] KDE reinstall

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Aug 7 20:27:21 EDT 2003

What yast and apt2rpm do is to keep an internal database of known
packages and their associated dependencies. You get a similar effect by
rpm-db?) that has a full listing of all the rpm's that ship with a
particular RedHat release and how they interact.

The key thing here, and it's not Linux only, it's every OS, is that
binary files are linked to particular libraries. Change the libs and
problems happen. A large part of a new release for all of the distros is
the lib test phase (does every package we want to include run with the
library set we are using).

With Slackware, this is never a big problem as everyone (usually)
installs from source tarballs anything new they want. The downside is
the lack of detailed data about what is installed and what it uses.
That's why every other major player has some sort of dependency tracking
system.

What Debian has done is to heavily standardize on their libs and do very
slow releases. So apt-get has a long data life. But you still have to
install _all_ the new libs for a major upgrade for, say KDE or Gnome.
Apt-get simply has the centralized location of where to get it built in.
RedHat Network does the exact same thing.  I don't use Mandrake at all,
nor Suse much (beta enterprise AMD64 server is the ONLY place to get a
jdk for the opteron right now).