[ale] KDE reinstall

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Thu Aug 7 15:24:55 EDT 2003

After reading the other users responses, I'm realizing that there was definitely
 a reason that I moved away from rpm's (bad advice from other boards).  I
generally went (first) to rpmfind.net, grabbed what I needed, along with
whatever it listed as requirements, and crossed my fingers for a long ride.
There were a lot of times that it just took time, after google search, after
'clear ; tail /var/log/<depends on what I had broken> -f', find boo-boo, google,
repeat as necessary.  I had accepted that (when using RPM) that that was just
the way that it had to be done.  After several of these weekender sessions, I
just started installing a fresh install of Red Hat, with as little as possible,
and then going straight for the source, which took a little longer than using
the rpm's (when the rpm's that I had worked), but ended up with a much more
stable system in the long run (because I wasn't dorking it up with the wrong
rpms, apparently).  I'm glad that you all stepped in before Andy got into the
same 'what good is an rpm if it's harder to install than the source' mess that I
had found myself in.

Nathan J. Underwood
nathan at cybertechcafe.net
http://www.cybertechcafe.net