[ale] KDE reinstall

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Thu Aug 7 13:09:56 EDT 2003

Andy,

     You should be able to remove KDE, and reinstall via RPM.  The easiest way
to find out all of the settings for RPM is to do a 'man rpm', but here's what I
would do (this, of course, comes with no warranty, expressed or implied).

rpm -qa | grep [kK][dD][eE] <- This will find all of the KDE 'stuff'
rpm -e <each of the packages>  <- This will remove the packages
rpm -ivh <new kde packages> <- this will install the new packages, with verbose
output, and give hash marks so that you'll know if it hangs somewhere

Now, there are probably much better ways of doing it, but I've strayed away from
RPM's lately (google for 'dependency hell').  Hope this helps.

Quoting "Zyman, Andy" <zymana at hra.nyc.gov>:

> Nathan ,
> Sorry, forgot:
> RH8. I installed it from original CDrom while installing the system. After
> that ( i guess it was KDE2) agent updated it to KDE3 ....
> The main 2 reasons to do that :
> 1. Just to see how to do this
> 2. I can't apply "schemes" and whole thing sometimes just hangs, that i have
> to reboot box - i guess it is because i "played" with settings and now can't
> do certain things.
>
> I don't have anything there which i would like to preserve. But if you could
> please tell me where all customization settings go - that would be nice.

Nathan J. Underwood
nathan at cybertechcafe.net
http://www.cybertechcafe.net