[ale] SCO Announces Intellectual Property License for Linux (fwd)

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Aug 6 17:53:02 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 08:07:41AM -0400, Matthew Brown wrote:
> What baffoons.  I wonder what it's like to walk aound knowing that
> you're universally disdained.

Ask Bill Gates.  Ask him if he cares what anyone things.

> $700/cpu?!  They are evidently pretty proud of whatever idea they had.
> This is where the IP nuts get me going.  They have one idea, however
> long ago, and they want to make their living on that one thought for
> years afterward.  GREED.

Money for nothing and your chicks (or is it tricks) for free.

Someone would be a fool to give them a penny until after the Red Hat
suit completes.  At that time, it is quite likely that it will be
proven that SCO knowingly committed fraud.

If anyone has gotten (or gets) such a SCO letter, do reply and ask them
what lines of code they are claiming are their IP.  When they fail to
answer the question, you will have done due diligence and will have
acted in good faith.  Thus, in the unlikely event that they actually
prove their claim, it will be unlikely that they could successfully
claim damages.

Since Red Hat likely will end up owning SCO (my prediction), I'd be
more concerned about not pissing off Red Hat.

Bob