[ale] Any Linux experience with Microsoft MN-130 NICs?

Benjie Godfrey bgodfrey at layton-graphics.com
Tue Aug 5 13:15:08 EDT 2003

John Mills wrote:

>ALErs -
>
>Picked up a Micrsoft amodel MN-130 PCI ethernet adapter at Office Depot
>for $19.95 with $19.95 rebate (i.e., get it for the sales tax). Has anyone
>used one of these in a Linux installation?
>
>TIA.
>
> - John Mills
> - john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu

John,

I  have some pc's at work with microsoft nics in them, and I am not sure
what the model numbers are.  I do know that they all use the realtek
8139 chip.  I would try something like  modprobe 8139 or modprobe
8139too and see if the linux drivers for that chip load.  ( There are
two different modules for the two different revisions of the chip.)  It
would help if  looked for something to identify the chipset on the card
and post that with your request.  AFAIK linux supports just about every
current 10/100 ethernet chip on the market.

Benjie

Systems Administrator
Layton Graphics Inc.
Marietta,  Georgia, USA