[ale] computer store near northlake?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Aug 5 06:30:15 EDT 2003

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I spent about three hours in Microcenter on Saturday, filling up a
> shopping cart.  In addition to the tax-free deal, they had things going
> for nice, low prices, including refurb wireless stuff that was all I
> needed to see to get into that game, even if only for the purposes of
> learning.  They were clearing out CD-RWs and 30GB hard drives

I did the same this past Saturday as well.  My wife and daughter made
the mistake of riding along...

> I liked that the floor guys in Microcenter actually mostly knew their
> asses from holes in the ground and actually tried to be helpful, too.

I was fortunate to run into a Linux knowledgeable salesman while there.
  That's when I picked up my color laser.  I had commadeered one of
their Internet connected computers to do a bit of research on some of
the laser printers they had.  They don't like you doing that. :(
Anyway, he came up and asked if he could help, I told him I was
researching lasers for Linux.  He suggested linuxprinting.org (which is
where I was headed) and asked me what dist. it was for.  Then, slapped
his forhead when he read my t-shirt (SuSE).  He had helped a friend
install a similar laser on a Linux box the past weekend.  I took the
plunge and have been quite happy.

> The selection of stuff there is very useful.  At Circuit City or Best
> Buy, you're mostly going to get nothing but Hewlett-Compaqards and maybe
> E-Machines but they're going to be bundled with all kinds of MS, AOL,
> MSN, etc. BS and I want none of that.  Microcenter can help you there,
> whether you want to build from the ground up or starting from a
> barebones (no drives, CPU, RAM).

Microcenter often has rebuilt systems for sale as well.  If I was
building from the ground up, I'd go to Monarch though.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...