[ale] low end laser printer or high end ink jet?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Aug 2 22:39:50 EDT 2003

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 00:04, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Okay, call me clueless.
>

> OK. You're clueless.  But that is by design of the printer makers so
> it's not your fault. :)
>

>>So tell me folks where am I wrong in these assumptions:
>>

>>Laser print quality is better than inkjet
>

> Yes and no. Some of the inkjets produce STUNNING print quality. Epson
> has a 6-tank system in a wide format (13"x19") that is nearly
> unbelievable. That said, the lifespan of laser print is better than most
> ordinary inks. The reds are not quite as prone to sunlight degradation
> on laser as they are from inkjet. There are archival inks, however, that
> have an anticipated lifespan of 100 years on acid-free paper. But that
> setup is a much higher cost-per-page than any other print.

I just printed out an 8x10 of my daughter I took with with a snap off my
digital camcorder.  On cheap paper, it is actually very close to photo
quality.  I suspect the lacking in quality is the camera not the
printer.  I printed it at 2400x600, I am amazed and quite pleased.  I
just printed 15 full pages of color images and it took about the time
one would on my old epson.  Wow.

>>Laser print is cheaper than inkjet
>

> In most situations, cost per page is less for laser than inkjet. Except
> for color laser. It is about on par with inkjet. It depends on whether
> the toner cartridges are individual (higher upfront machine cost) or
> monolithic (low end machines).

Hmmm, this thing has 4 separate toner cartridges. :)

>>Laser print is faster than inkjet
>

> Almost always true. Moving a laser beam is faster than moving a
> printhead.
>

>>So, do I go with the high end inkjet or will I be happy with the low end
>>HP laser at 600x600???
>

> 600x600 dpi is quite good. Unless you _NEED_ to print photographs, the
> laser will be just fine. The photo printing on it will be good enough to
> pass around family pictures and snapshots. For doing business documents,
> it will be fantastic.

I'm thinking I'll be pleased printing on photo paper with this thing.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...