[ale] WM's, Gnome2 and Quake 3

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Sat Aug 2 18:36:15 EDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 01:31:45PM -0400 John Wells <jb at sourceillustrated.com> wrote:
> How does the Ale community weigh in on this issue?
>
> FWIW, XFCE 4 is an *awesome* WM for gnome 2 and is light years faster than
> Metacity...

Personally, I'm a WM slut.  I've played with most everything, at
least whatever I have energy for.  But I had a question about
XFCE 4.  I installed it a month or two back and it didn't have
any sound support as XFCE 3 did.  Is there sound support now?
(I mean for system events and such.)  But when I want comfortable
and reliable, I always seem to come home to Fluxbox/Blackbox.

BTW, on Gnome2 WMs, for some reason my "zoom key" in Quake 3
doesn't hold the "zoomed view" consistent.  Imagine you're
getting ready to rail someone on a faraway platform, so you press
the zoom key and get ready to frag them, but suddenly the view
jerks back and forth between zoomed and normal view.  Kinda
weird, huh?  Never happens with Gnome1 WMs, or non-Gnome2 WMs.
Any ideas?

TIA!

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net