[ale] Dominating the Linux Desktop

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Sat Aug 2 13:34:38 EDT 2003

On Saturday 02 August 2003 13:16, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:

> I hope not, although probably not in the fashion most people think. I
> hope the Linux/FLOSS/whatever desktop stabilizes with three or four major
> offerings; for example blackbox, gnome, KDE, with the developers able to
> build interopperation into the majors as an option. While I'm sure this
> will complicate many people's lives, I like options and choice. This also
> means that the desktop will have multiple sources of ideas/innovation.

I certainly don't want to see freedom of choice disappear. I was mainly
referring to the corporate setting. I think KDE offers the best options for
deployment in a large environment. In that type of setting, the ability to
mimic the windows UI is important...at least initially. Personally, I have
KDE configured more like CDE, but it seems to do well in either role. This
would enable a transition from the somewhat restrictive windows environment
to the more flexible environment traditionally provided on unix at a pace
the average user could easily handle. Gnome seems to be more focused on
providing the best traditional unix environment possible, while KDE seems
to be a bit more focused on ease of use for those not used to that
environment. I guess what I'm driving at is that KDE seems to be a good
catch all environment where all users can find common ground. Whether
you're coming from CDE, Windows, or Mac...KDE will provide a familiar
interface. The same cannot be said for Gnome IMHO, although I do think the
Gnome environment is an excellent choice for those who are capable of
taking care of themselves without handholding.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security