[ale] Dominating the Linux Desktop

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat Aug 2 13:16:09 EDT 2003

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> I recently made the switch to KDE. I have always toyed with all the desktop
> environments, but had always preferred the lightweight stuff like blackbox.
> When running a full desktop environment in the past, I had always steered
> towards Gnome for some reason. I had always avoided KDE because of
> performance issues, but KDE 3.x is so much faster than previous versions
> that this is no longer an issue. Honestly, I get the impression that KDE is
> the future of desktop linux. Thoughts?

I hope not, although probably not in the fashion most people think. I hope
the Linux/FLOSS/whatever desktop stabilizes with three or four major
offerings; for example blackbox, gnome, KDE, with the developers able to
build interopperation into the majors as an option. While I'm sure this
will complicate many people's lives, I like options and choice. This also
means that the desktop will have multiple sources of ideas/innovation.

YMMV