[ale] low end laser printer or high end ink jet?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Aug 2 11:29:15 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 00:04, Geoffrey wrote:
> Okay, call me clueless.

OK. You're clueless.  But that is by design of the printer makers so
it's not your fault. :)

> So tell me folks where am I wrong in these assumptions:
>

> Laser print quality is better than inkjet

Yes and no. Some of the inkjets produce STUNNING print quality. Epson
has a 6-tank system in a wide format (13"x19") that is nearly
unbelievable. That said, the lifespan of laser print is better than most
ordinary inks. The reds are not quite as prone to sunlight degradation
on laser as they are from inkjet. There are archival inks, however, that
have an anticipated lifespan of 100 years on acid-free paper. But that
setup is a much higher cost-per-page than any other print.

> Laser print is cheaper than inkjet

In most situations, cost per page is less for laser than inkjet. Except
for color laser. It is about on par with inkjet. It depends on whether
the toner cartridges are individual (higher upfront machine cost) or
monolithic (low end machines).

> Laser print is faster than inkjet

Almost always true. Moving a laser beam is faster than moving a
printhead.

> So, do I go with the high end inkjet or will I be happy with the low end
> HP laser at 600x600???

600x600 dpi is quite good. Unless you _NEED_ to print photographs, the
laser will be just fine. The photo printing on it will be good enough to
pass around family pictures and snapshots. For doing business documents,
it will be fantastic.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part