[ale] Dominating the Linux Desktop

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Aug 2 11:01:23 EDT 2003

I've been a big fan of gnome since pre-1.0 days. But it is a resource
hog. I recently had the need to install Suse on my opteron box. The
RedHat beta for the opteron was missing things I use like Openoffice
(massive lib problem) which Suse had fixed by installing a set of 32-bit
compatibility libs. The REdHat beta had gnome by default with KDE as
optional. But the Suse only installed KDE. Having used KDE now for about
2 weeks, I am getting more comfortable with it. It is version 3.1.1.
It's not a fair comparison speed wise as the system is a dual Operon w/
2G ram. But it "feels" speedy in some areas and not in others.

On another machine, due to low CPU power and ram, I installed XFCE as a
working environment. I am really happy with the responsiveness. There
are some toys that are not readily available that I really like (tabbed
shell windows like gnome-terminal and Konsole. But a quick setting
change and I  can bog down my system fast loading up all the G/K libs
for either of those to run. But I am running Evolution so the extra load
is already in place.

On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 22:53, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On Friday 01 August 2003 22:47, Robert E. Karaffa, II wrote:
> > I guess it would depend upon the graphics card/VRAM, etc., but I agree,
> > KDE is far better now than, say, two years ago.  It would be such a
> > blessing for Linux to have a kick-butt desktop environment that's easy to
> > navigate, personalize, etc.
>
>  This is on the same old laptop I've been using as my primary workstation
> for almost 5 years. K6 300/128MB with an old 4 mb Neomagic card. The
> difference between KDE2 and KDE3 is dramatic on older hardware like this.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part