[ale] Dominating the Linux Desktop

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Aug 2 08:03:18 EDT 2003

On Saturday 02 August 2003 02:02, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On Saturday 02 August 2003 00:36, aaron wrote:
>
> > I'm currently settled on the Gnome / Sawfish environment. Of the Linux WM
> > choices I've explored (which is most of them now), this combo best
> > delivers the options, control, functionality and style that I'm
> > accustomed to. Gnome / Enlightenment would be my next choice, with Gnome
> > / Anything following those. Gnome offers several strong window manager
> > choices, and choice is why I'm on Linux in the first place.
>
> If you prefer Gnome, you really should try out Slackware with Dropline
> Gnome. It is very nice. That's currently running in second place in my
> evaluation of bloatware.

Is Dropline Gnome tied to Slackware, or do you think it could be integrated
into another distro without a lot of difficulty?? My up and coming system is
a  media production workstation and I need a lot of the the media tools that
come pre-packaged and conveniently ready to install with Mandrake and/or
Suse.

> I just find that the KDE apps are more
> refined...or at least those that appeal to me.

Oh... I agree %100 on that aspect... the Apps that are rolled into the KDE
suite are generally very refined, consistent and well integrated.
Fortunately, most of the KDE apps will run cooperatively under Gnome without
problems, so I get the customized desktop look and feel I prefer with full
access to some very nicely designed KDE apps.  (I'm using Kmail as my email
client... Opera is my preferred browser, which also uses the QT lib.)  Having
programs that follow some style guidelines is definitely an aid to usability,
but only so long as the guidelines remain suggested references and not rigid
walls (e.g. Mac pre OSeX).

peace
aaron