[ale] low end laser printer or high end ink jet?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Aug 2 00:04:11 EDT 2003

Okay, call me clueless.  I'm considering purchasing a color laser
printer and found myself first over at Xerox, but noted they start there
at $1999, a bit more then I'd planned to spend.

I then notice they have this print technology called 'solid ink' in a
printer that lists for $1499, still too pricey for what I'm considering,
but what the hell is 'solid ink?'  They have links about it, telling you
it's better than laser or inkjet, so why is it cheaper then laser?

So I head over to HP to check out their laser printers, only to find out
that the ones in my price range < $1000 have a dpi of 600x600.  Sounds
like a lot of cash for not such a great printer.

So I'm checking out the inkjet printers on HP and they've got them going
more then the low end lasers.  > $1000 for an inkjet printer, but hey it
does 2400 x 1200 dpi, but that's with something called PhotoREt III on
photo paper.  Must be some proprietary software right?  Who knows.

So here it is, officially the last day of the great no tax sale and I'm
more confused than ever.

So tell me folks where am I wrong in these assumptions:

Laser print quality is better than inkjet

Laser print is cheaper than inkjet

Laser print is faster than inkjet

So, do I go with the high end inkjet or will I be happy with the low end
HP laser at 600x600???

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...