[ale] still trying to figure it out

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Aug 1 14:50:31 EDT 2003

David S. Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:16:36PM -0400 Geoffrey The Esoteric <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
>
>>>dig +identify +qr @dnsjm1.csplans.com mybenefits.csplans.com
>>
>>; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> +identify +qr @dnsjm1.csplans.com
>>mybenefits.csplans.com
>>;; global options:  printcmd
>>;; Sending:
>>;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 20899
>>;; flags: rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>>
>>;; QUESTION SECTION:
>>;mybenefits.csplans.com.                IN      A
>>
>>;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>

> Well, I guess that last line pretty well cinches it.  What's the
> output if you dig at another dns server?
>
> dig +identify +qr @ns.bellsouth.net -t NS yahoo.com
>
> If that times out too, then it doesn't have anything to do with
> csplans.com.  Maybe there needs to be a pinhole in a firewall or
> maybe just forward queries to a local ns server or something.

It does time out, but I do see the dns request being passed through my
firewall to the internet and I see the response come back.

> Sorry if you already did this kind of test and I just missed it.

No, I hadn't gotten that specific, but the thing is, I figure that I
wouldn't be able to get out anywhere if dns was always timing out.
Further, I see the dns request being passed through the firewall to the
internet and I see the response coming back with a 'no name' error.

I'm thinking of taking the windows solution and rebooting that box to
see what might happen...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...