[ale] OT: Win2K Server EULA

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 1 14:26:22 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 06:11:51PM +0000, hbbs at comcast.net wrote:
> Thanks, John.
>
> I'm not seeing anything in here that could be reasonably construed as "MS can
> get your HDD contents if they want."

It was the EULA for SP3 that contained the clause.  Basically, the EULA
gave MS the right to install DRM software on your computer without your
knowledge (eg, through windows update), and the right to disable any
software on your computer which might be used to circumvent the DRM.

Slashdot did a story on this:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/04/132221&tid=109

That article contains a link to a story in the Register.

But, it looks like MS is backing off somewhat, due to the uproar caused
by this.  See here:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/17/1430223&mode=thread&tid=109

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9