[ale] Why won't my module load?

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at numethods.com
Tue Apr 29 13:58:35 EDT 2003

Yep, I think that is the case here. I finally broke down and loaded the
kernel I built on the box we're trying to load the ipx module on, added
a stanza to its grub.conf file, and booted the dang thing.

Sure enough, "insmod ipx.o" completes without error, and "lsmod" shows
that the ipx module is in fact loaded. depmod(8) still kvetches about
unresolved symbols, but modprobe or insmod seems to complete just fine.

Bummer that we'll have to upgrade the kernel on a running machine
though.

-- CHS