[ale] Mozilla Firebird is pretty cool

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Apr 28 12:36:35 EDT 2003

On Monday 28 April 2003 11:58 am, James Sumners wrote:
> That is so silly. They are completely different products. The mythical
> phoenix is bird born of fire hence the rename from Phoenix to Firebird.

So you think that it would be okay for, say, apache to rename their server
Mozilla, or Abiword and the original projects would have no grounds for
complaint?

Firebird, the DB, is not a little, unknown project.  It is a 3 year old
project under that name.  Like Mozilla, it is an open sourced, formerly
proprietary and commercial, software project.  See
http://www.mozillazine.org/articles/article3097.html

> Besides, what grounds do they have? I am fairly sure Pontiac was using
> the name "Firebird" long before the database people were.

And yet Mozilla made a deal so they wouldn't get sued for infringing on the
Gozilla trademark.  You are right that the infringement neds to be in the
same or similar area.  So, are two software products more or less in the
same area as a car and a software product.

> http://reactor-core.org/mozilla-position-on-firebird.html

This helps a lot.  It is good to hear that it is just a code name, not a
production name.  Let's hope it works out.  As they say in bball "Good
save!".

Michael