[ale] OT: Stock Traders?

Zack zack at the-links.net
Thu Apr 24 23:13:23 EDT 2003

But my point was that there are often flat fees for trades (and selling
too as someone else pointed out) and often monthly or quarterly account
maintenance fees for such small sums of money.  Since these are flat
amounts, the less money you invest (or the more often you trade) the
larger the percentage of fees you pay on your money, making a good
return less likely.  I do agree with your point though, I believe the
stock market is generally a better investment than gambling, just not
for that sum of money.

I actually had to close an account recently as the declining stock
market made account fees kick in.  I started getting nailed a flat fee
that just hastened the decline of my account (as if the stocks weren't
falling fast enough on their own).  If I didn't close out the account, I
would have probably OWED them money soon. I got about a $15 back.

Zack