[ale] OT: Stock Traders?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu Apr 24 16:31:07 EDT 2003

Wow. The list seems somewhat pessimistic. Methinks many where heavily invested
in tech stocks at some point. ;)
George's solution (below) is great advice. ALSO, if you want to leave the
money in the market (and you aren't tooo concerned about losing it) here's a
tip:

Sometimes, I get emails from friends that read like ad copy. The email says
"buy stock in this company because they are going to change the world, and
they almost have a patent." (For example, one company detailed a problem with
the water system and how they designed a new filter the water plants would
need.) The stock was offered below $1 per share.

I have seen this more than twice, and didn't invest anything. However, I
*watched* the stock prices tripple and fall again - there was high volitility
- and high profits to be made in short timeframes. I believe that the stocks
movement was based on the marketing. I have not checked the price lately, but
if you want to know I can find out.

Seeing the price jump and fall may be an emotional rollercoaster. To help keep
emotions in the heart and not in the market. A trick to offset the emotions
is to determine in advance what you would sell for if the stock goes up, and
what you are willing to lose. If you are using Ameritrade, you can set these
values as soon as you buy the stock. That way your stock is sold
*automatically* (other stock market rules apply)(watch Ameritrade they can
"forget" to sell sometimes). If the stock moves favorably, you can move your
values up to set a new range.

Hope that helps - I know the next time I see one of those opportunities I am
going to play it. If nothing else, it is extremely entertaining. I haven't
looked lately, but there were message boards on the net somewhere that
circulated that information.

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

Disclaimer: I am usually a contrarian investor and typically advise against
the stock market altogether. I avoided the market losses by buying physical
gold at $260 and weathered the ridicule. I recommend silver now (buy at
$4.50). Coincidently, most markets declined today, while the metals advanced.
YMMV