[ale] Linux desktop inefficiencies...

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Apr 24 15:56:03 EDT 2003

I guess what I'm really getting at is....why do Windows apps, at least in
the GUI sense, seem to run more efficiently memory-wise than Linux apps
written in Gnome/KDE?

Now, I'm not painting with a big brush here....many windows apps are hogs
in their own right.  But what I would call utility programs (explorers,
sys mons, etc.) seem to be so much heavier under Gnome/KDE as far as
memory imprint goes.

I assume it's because of the rather large separation of the underlying OS
and X, but I'm not sure.

I'm really not trying to troll here....just curious.  I'm a big fan of
Gnome, and on a machine with 512 I'm usually very happy...but trying to
work efficiently on this 256 meg machine has brought some lag/hogging to
my attention and I'm curious as to what might cause it, and how it could
be improved.  Note that I'm assuming there's a common, underlying cause
here.

Thanks,

John