[ale] Linux desktop inefficiencies...

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Apr 24 15:22:02 EDT 2003

It's really not quite as bad as you think. Most of those apps store some
history that gets dropped out when it's no longer needed (or another app
calls for RAM). GWeather seems to store all the data of its updates
until you kill -9 it and it asks to restart.

Responsiveness is a function of some of the kernel changes. Some
upcoming changes (low latency, etc) will make a drastic difference in
responsivity.

But , yes, memory requirements are climbing as users expect more "stuff"
to be there.

twm is very light and fast. But it is seriously ugly and hard to use.