[ale] What security measures do I need?

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Wed Apr 23 08:48:20 EDT 2003

I'm running a web server on a system at home connected to my DSL via a
Linksys router with just port 80 opened up.  It's running Apache 1.3.26,
I think on a 2.4.18 kernel.  Except for the kernel it is a standard
debian stable installation.

I would rather not get hacked, so I'm looking for guidance in securing
this system.  Suggestions would be appreciated.  The 'bots have found it
since there is activity in the access log showing attempts to break in
from one or more of the MS variety of viruses/worms/whatevers.

Thanks,
Jim.