[ale] Strange System problem

roncordell at attbi.com roncordell at attbi.com
Wed Apr 23 08:40:09 EDT 2003

I need some insight on a problem I have with one of my Linux boxes.

System configuration: Abit BE6 II m/b PIII 800MHz/512Kb cache 768MB RAM
Storage configuration: Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI card with 3 SCSI Ultra2 LVD drives
on one physical connection, and tape drives, DVD drive, and CD RW on another
physical connection. There are no IDE drives in the system, although there is
an onboard HPT366 IDE controller.

OS: SuSE 7.3/8.1/8.2 - all about the same behavior

There are various symptoms, which I will describe here. I think that they are
all related, but there is nothing overt, nothing that gives errors
in /var/log/messages, etc.

1. Large files never seem to work correctly. For example, if I download an ISO
image onto this machine, it always fails the MD5 check. If I download the ISO
on another machine, it passes the MD5 check on that machine; if I move it to
this machine, it will fail the MD5 check (regardless of how I move the file,
either by network, by tape, or whatever).

2. I can't seem to get an Oracle test instance to work correctly with large
database files, while this works fine on other Linux systems. For example, it
seems that once I get to somewhere between 1-2GB database file, it starts
failing. I am unable to import a dump file from another system if the dump file
is larger than 1.5 GB or so; again this works fine on other comparable Linux
ssytems.

3. RedHat CD's (8.0 or 9) won't pass the check test on this machine, but they
will pass on other machines. On the other hand, other CD's seem to work fine
AFAICT. This doesn't seem to be related to what type of CD it is, either.

4. The ATI TVWonder card used to work under Linux, but now I can't get it to
produce a picture, only sound. It worked under SuSE 7.1, but now doesn't work
under any flavor I have used. What has changed? Probably the machine's hardware
configuration.

Now - the machine's hardware config *has* changed over time, specifically the
SCSI card(s) used in the system. I suspect that there is something funky going
on with respect to the 2940U2W card, but it has the latest BIOS updates, etc.
Like I said, I don't get errors in the logs. Unfortunately, I don't have
another card I can try, such as an Adaptec 29160 controller. The ATI TVWonder
card situation makes me suspect that perhaps there is a PCI bus issue involved,
or an interrupt issue.

Does anyone have any insight/experience that might shed some light, or perhaps
some things to try? Perhaps a better SCSI card (I've heard that Adaptec cards
are not the best, but what else would you suggest that doesn't cost a bundle?)
Perhaps a different configuration on the SCSI card?

Thanks all!

-ronc