[ale] FTP from Windoze box and audio question

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Apr 21 09:19:11 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 08:54, Pete Hardie wrote:
> ....it's a 2-fer, today....
>
> (BTW, I really think this list is great....I start feeling guilty when I can't
> help someone else out, because of all the good help I've gotten from the list
> members over the past few years....)
>
> First, a question - I've been trying to set up things so my wife can ftp some of
> her files over to my RedHat box, in prep for putting Cygqin on her machine, and
> letting her do stuff remotely.  I appear to have FTP set up ok - xinetd and all
> that.  I can ftp locally ok, but ftp from her box fails.  Now, I'm using the Run
> menu option for the 'built-in' FTP on her machine, and I get the FTP SYN, but my
> machine reports "Destination unreachable'.  However, ping works both directions.
>   Any suggestions appreciated.

Check firewall setup. You need to have ports 20 and 21 open for passive
ftp. If ssh works, use sftp instead. On a home LAN, the added security
is not important unless it's your machine that connects to the DSL line
:)

> Second, a pure Linux problem.  I'm trying out Sphinx speech recognition, and I
> cannot get the audio system to let me record anything.  I believe I was able to
> pre-RH8, but all I get now is silence in the files, whether I use rec, the Gnome
> sound tool, etc.  I've tried adjusting levels with aumix, and the Gnome level
> tool.  I can play sound from CD, from ogg files, and when I am recording, I hear
> the sounds on the speakers, but nothing gets to the disk.  I probably can work
> my tests with .wav file from the Windoze box, but it's got me stumped.

Me too. The only thing running around my not-yet-caffine-soaked brain is
a permissions error on the dsp input port.

> TIA,
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part