[ale] Dilema: downgrade kernel or only the ide-cd driver

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Fri Apr 18 07:48:58 EDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 truthcon at bellsouth.net wrote:
> I am EXTREMELY new to the Linux world (about 1 week old).  My company
> is using VMware ESX Server (runs on top of Linux 7.x, Linux 2.4.19
> kernel).

I was under the impression that VMWare ESX ran directly on top of the
hardware.  Do you mean GSX?

> There is a problem that VMware has with the ide-cd driver and they have
> a support doc on their website which recommends either:

I'm not sure which you should do, but I'll say that we are running VMWare
GSX on top of 2.4.20 and don't seem to have any trouble.  I believe on one
of the VM's it was setup from CD, but for the most part we just use ISO
images instead of CD's so we don't have to keep running to that machine to
change them.