[ale] USB Pendrive on RH 8.0

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at sciatl.com
Wed Apr 16 10:23:29 EDT 2003

Ok, partial success.

I am able to mount the pendrive as an ext2 system via
mount -t ext2 /dev/sda /mnt/usb

and this was made possible by having the drive plugged in and doing:
mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda

However, it is flaky - this morning I was unable to mount the drive.  lsusb
shows the device, but not all of the params, like so:
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0ea0:6803
   Language IDs: none (cannot get min. string descriptor; got len=-1,
error=110:Connection timed out)
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               1.10
   bDeviceClass            0 Interface
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   idVendor           0x0ea0
   idProduct          0x6803
   bcdDevice            1.00
   iManufacturer           1
   iProduct                2
   iSerial                 3
   bNumConfigurations      1
cannot get config descriptor 0, Connection timed out (110)
   Language IDs: none (cannot get min. string descriptor; got len=-1,
error=110:Connection timed out)

Other times I see much more data for the pendrive.  The USB hub shows up
consistently with its data.

Also, the main reason I wanted this was to transfer files to/from the wife's
Windoze box (ftp has been giving me trouble, and heck, security through turning
it off works for me), and I was unable to get a vfat filesystem on the pendrive,
although I'm probably not doing it right.  /var/log/messages entries that appear
to relate to this are:
Apr 15 00:07:15 nyet kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel
0, id 0, lun 0
Apr 15 00:07:15 nyet kernel: SCSI device sda: 64512 512-byte hdwr sectors (33 MB)
Apr 15 00:07:15 nyet kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
Apr 15 00:07:15 nyet kernel:  sda: unknown partition table
Apr 15 00:07:31 nyet kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 65535
Apr 15 00:07:31 nyet kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 08:00.
Apr 15 00:16:04 nyet kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 65535
Apr 15 00:16:04 nyet kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 08:00.
Apr 15 00:16:08 nyet kernel: VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev sd(8,0).
Apr 15 00:16:12 nyet kernel: VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sd(8,0).
Apr 15 00:16:28 nyet kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 65535
Apr 15 00:16:28 nyet kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 08:00.
Apr 15 00:16:28 nyet kernel: UMSDOS: msdos_read_super failed, mount aborted.
Apr 15 00:17:02 nyet kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
     posting from, but not     |

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.