[ale] Long ago off topic and wondering ever on... Defeated by the offshoring of America....

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Wed Apr 16 00:07:44 EDT 2003

Since you've decided to enter the fray, and since those for whom it's a
major issue have presumably already added this thread to their killfiles,
I'll note that yours is a knee-jerk reaction which has nothing to do with
what anyone has been saying.  Nobody has been labelling anyone else a
Nazi.  I see no moral problem with making reference to the Nazi party when
it's appropriate to the discussion (although, by the rules governing these
things, Ben obviously lost the debate by being the first to make the
reference).

I suggest that, rather than leaping to assumptions whenever you see
something that triggers your own internal kill-file, you take the time to
actually understand the opinions that are being stated.  The harm that has
been done in the name of political correctness approximates to that done in
the name of intolerance and hatred.

>Also, not that it really matters to the people who are sending this
>sh!t, but any more of this and I'll add the guilty parties to my
>/dev/null script. I suggest anyone else who is offended by this do the
>same.

I dare say that other people have figured this out without what is, I'm
afraid, rather sanctimonious advice.  For my part, I'd hope that most on
the list would be mature enough to participate in - or ignore - reasonable
(if adult in nature and admittedly off-topic) discussions without too much
whining or self-righteousness.

This topic is quite clearly marked as being off-topic, and I'm sure it'll
dwindle away soon enough.  Like most such topics, it germinated in what was
originally a (vaguely) on-topic thread and soon outgrew its pot.  That's
the way mailing lists work, though.  And in many cases, they're the better
for it.

--George