[ale] good programmer

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue Apr 15 02:10:24 EDT 2003

ALE, 04-15-03 0104
I want to thank George Carless for his recent help. I had two scripts that I
needed help on - I posted one to the list (which George improved), and the
other dealt with a filter or "database schema."

A member of my site offered to help. I also shopped the idea around to a few
onshore programmers. The programmers felt that the filter would be complex,
and one took a stab at it, but the code did not work reliably. George also
offered his help. Even though he was busy traveling, he gave me the solution
in one sentence - while at the same time reminding me to go "back to the
basics." Moreover, he taught me a little about programming/database concepts.
Even with his solution, he offered further help if I needed it. I am very
greatful for the ALE, most of it's members, and George's help on the OT. His
solution reduced my estimated 12-24 hours of work into 1 hour - and be
because he was so clear, I was able to write the code myself!

George is just yet another example of a
good-hearted-foriegn-programmer-who-finds-and-executes-solutions-quickly-
even-with-a-busy-scedule-and-seems-to-have-the-attitude-that-code-is-about-
completing-the-task,-not-artistry-or-another-chance-to-ask-"see-how-good-I-am?"

George, your advice has a LOT of value to me and will save me quite a bit of
time in the future. It helped me finally tie together the benefits of lots of
separate pieces of complex software and allows me to leverage that bond so
that I can reduce the effort I expend by half. If there is any way I can
return a favor sometime, let me know. Thank you!

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

PS: The entire answer was to optimize the "database schema" for one table,
while leaving the others in their original state.