[ale] [OT] Gigabyte 6VTXE MB and Celeron 1.2Ghz won't play :-(

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 14 16:55:08 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

I just received a Gigabyte 6VTXE socket370 MB and a shiny new
1.2 Ghz Celeron to go with it. This combination was suggested by
the "System Configurator" web app as www.insightcomponents.com
(formerly Treasure Chest). I usually buy my components from
Insight, and I've never had a problem before, but now I have,
and I'd appreciate any advice I can get (even if it's "send it
back and get motherboard X instead").

The problem is that, after installing the RAM, CPU, CPU fan, etc, and
configuring the bus speeds appropriately (100Mhz FSB, 12X CPU
multiplier), the machine won't boot. In fact, it doesn't even attempt
to execute its POST, AFAICT. No "beep, beep, you screwed up" codes
(yes, the speaker is connected to the MB properly).  The fans spin up,
and that's it. I've built probably fifteen machines from parts in the
past few years, so I'm reasonably certain I've done everything right,
but of course there's always room for doubt. Has anyone else got one
of these MBs, and if so, what have your experiences been? Is there
some obvious thing I may be missing? (Yes, the MB power connector is
connected to the power supply... :0).

Thanks,

-- Joe Knapka