[ale] large file xfer challenges

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Apr 13 10:44:21 EDT 2003

On Sunday 13 April 2003 10:53, Douglas Bridges wrote:
> Why don't you use just rar them all up?
>
> Doug

The files in question are already highly compressed pixeo media, aka Quick
Time and AVI. The 15 to 20% that Gzip, zip, et all can further compress them
still isn't enough to squeeze them onto a single CD.

Again, this wouldn't even be an issue if I could figure out the tricks to
making Data DVD's that winblows can read.

peace
aaron

> On Sunday 13 April 2003 09:56 am, aaron wrote:
> > >
> > > IIRC, a DOS "copy Part1 + Part2 + Part3 Bigfile" will do the trick.
> >
> > Thanks. I did not know about that extension to the DOS copy command. Will
> > try it when I can get to a winblows machine.

> > > Actually, plain ole' ISO 9660 is fine.  Joliet (for Windows) and
> > > Rockridge (for legacy UNIX) extensions just provide for filenames beyond
> > > the 8.3 singular-case (e.g., "MICROS~1.TXT").  Probably not an issue
when
> > > there's one file per CD. ;-)
> >
> > OK... thanks for the clarifications and confirmations; that's basically
how
> > I thought it should be working.
> >
> > My need to pursue file splits and sanity checks was prompted when I burned
> > these files to Data DVD on a Mac OSeX machine. The disks read back fine on
> > the Mac and the M$ box would recognize the disks as Data, but the file
> > system would show the disks at 0% full and fail to recognize the files.
> > Data CD's burned the same way in OSeX haven't had any such problems.
Anyone