[ale] ALE reply-to changes needed?? -- VOTE @ www.cade.org/ale_reply.php

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Sat Apr 12 19:45:12 EDT 2003

I am thinking this issue is worn out, rehashed and dead. Taking the time to
run yet another poll gives an opportunity for us geeks to take another crack
at foiling the system (which we discussed in the thread related to electronic
voting).

The issue is not important enough to warrant the cost of creating a good
voting system. Besides, the votes are already in . . .

Moreover, how will you determine quarum(sp?). What deadlines would be set? Is
there proxy voting? Can members who are not in Atlanta vote? What about
proxies? How would you keep people from voting at work? (I could write
another 30 questions to try to start a long debate over whether or not the
voting system would be valid - and the issue may end up in the Supreme Court
;))

The point is . . . . let's move on and buy Geoffrey a beer for bringing up
this topic again (it made my day anyway).

Drew

On Sat April 12 2003 18:39, John Wells wrote:
> As it happens, it is pretty easy to restrict voting to once per IP address
> with PHP.  That should cut down on this silliness (unless the cheaters are
> on dynamic ips...still, it would make them work a bit harder).
>
> I move that, if we truly want to use Calvin's poll, he whips up some quick
> code to restrict via ip (Calvin, maintain file of ips who've voted and
> check that before allowing a vote to go through), and start with a clean
> slate.
>
> As if it matters, I think standard ways of doing things (esp. in our
> field) are important and are probably "standards" for very good reasons.
> If we wish to deviate from the standard way of doing this for nothing else
> than to make life easier for a few folks who fail to check their TO: line,
> I think it's a bad idea.
>
> So there.
>
> John
>
> Joe said:
> > "ChangingLINKS.com" <x3 at ChangingLINKS.com> writes:
> >> I move that we use the Cade voting system, and close the polls.
> >> Currently the vote is 320 (reply to list) vs. 8 (reply to poster).
> >
> > That's truly bizarre, since it seems to me that the list traffic
> > has weighed pretty heavy on the "reply to poster" side, and
> > there are only about fifteen people who regularly post to the
> > list. Surely the lurking masses don't give two horseapples about
> > this issue; so where the heck did *328* votes come from???

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com